Monday, December 27, 2010

December 27, 2010

27 December 2010
Dear Family,

I had a lot of fun talking to everyone and was really excited that they allowed us to use skype. I was really happy that I had the chance to see Gwen and Grant. I did not think twice about seeing the Brock family there but afterwards realized that was a big deal that they were there. Did they fly out? I am feeling much better now than when we talked. I finally unpacked my first aid kit and was able to take some bismuth tablets.

My Christmas this year has felt a little more like the fourth of July with the heat, fireworks, and bbq. It has been really hard to work this last week because a lot of people are outside drinking, out of town, or lighting off fireworks. Everyone is really friendly when we walk by and I have been offered quite a few drinks. Thank you so much for the package you sent. I have been passing out some of the little toys you sent. I gave some out to all the children of the families that feed us then passed out some more to children in the ward. We are encouraged not to give out anything to children on the streets because it spawns harassment in the future. Elder Voss and I are going to make no bake cookies today with the peanut butter you sent. We were fed very well on Christmas. The people here just eat all day and were happy to have us join in. Most of the families buy ham and turkey. It was nice to eat something other than chicken. The bad thing was we were really tired from the turkey.

I was going to send some pictures of the Christmas party we had on Thursday but I forgot my camera cable. It was really fun. We had it in the church right next to the temple so we had the chance to walk around it and take pictures. Each zone put together a skit and presented them all. We put together a top ten things that happen to missionaries in this mission including packed chicken buses and dog chases. After the party the mission president gave us all temple ties with a stitched mola design. I also visited with Elder Scrimsher and Polera for the evening. They are good friends.

Elder Voss and I had a strange experience that I am not sure if I should share but will anyway. We were walking to a dinner appointment when this woman ran out of her house and practically dragged us in. She explained that her mom and dad both died in the house within several months and she was feeling evil spirits. She asked us if we could purge them. We gave her a blessing of comfort and she said she felt something being lifted off of her and felt at peace for the first time in awhile. The whole family was really impressed and they accepted a restoration pamphlet and invited us to come back. She told us she has been looking for Jesus in her life. The whole thing was really strange. She knows where another Mormon church is and did not know there was one closer that we attend. She wants to come to church next Sunday.

Water has returned! Not only has it returned but we also have ok pressure back too just in time for Christmas. We took super long showers and we are going to wash our clothes today. Earlier in the week we were joking around that all we wanted for Christmas was some water. Well Merry Christmas.

On Sunday I gave a talk on una Navidad Misional. I shared some experiences of sharing hymns and the story of the birth of Christ during this month. I was only asked to speak for ten minutes and I was not nervous because everyone is so friendly and casual. People just go up to the microphone and chat with the congregation. I guess I did an ok job because a lot of people came up after and thanked me. One of the poorer families in the ward came up to us and gave us each really cool souvenir plates of Panama. Elder Voss plate has the canal on it and mine has the ruins of Panama Viejo. These people never cease to amaze me. I felt bad because we did not have anything for her but she told me that my being here and my talk today were enough. I had to wipe my eyes after that one. I am really started to love these people so much. I don't feel like I am even really working on it. They just make it impossible not to.

I am not really sure what to write since I just talked to you. We are excited about this next week because we are going to invite a lot of our investigators to be baptized.

I wish I could have been there to hear Ben speak. He is so funny. I am glad he made it home safely and that Jeremy was able to get married.

I love you.

Elder Whiting

No comments:

Post a Comment