Monday, January 10, 2011

End of Change 1

Dear Family,
 
Changes are this Wednesday and everyone is very excited. We have been visiting a lot of our investigators and ward members. There is a pretty good chance I will be getting a new companion since Elder Voss has been here for two changes, but he may stay since he is training. I am almost certain I will stay.
 
I got a package from the Chabras this week. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw thin mint girlscout cookies, cadbury chocolates, hand sanitizer, and other unbelievably valuable items. They also included their Christmas card. They have always been good friends and were very supportive of me while I was preparing to leave and continue to support me. Please give them my thanks the next time you see them.
 
I am excited because a lot of our investigators are coming to church now. One of our investigators was concerned about what she would wear to church and put on a fashion show for us. It was just like in the movies where the person comes out two or three times to thumbs down and then finally come out in a good outfit and the people waiting outside the changing room cheer. One of our other investigators was waiting outside his house in a white shirt and tie ready to go to church. He looked better than us. We have not had water for 60 hours and counting, so it has been interesting.
 
I was sad to hear about the Japanese maple being cut down. I will hardly recognize the yard when I get back.
 
A lot of people here ask us for money. We are instructed not to give them any. The situations are always very awkward. It usually begins with some drunk guy staggering up to us and asking us for a quarter. We tell them no and then they try to send us on a guilt trip by saying God bless you in a sarcastic voice. It is a no win situation because if we give them money it causes even bigger problems like them always asking for more or buying more alcohol.
 
I am getting more comfortable with the language now. I can go through the lessons pretty well and have a couple contact approaches worked out. I can also communicate my point pretty well even if I cannot say exactly what I want to. The people here are really good about helping me too.
 
We spend more time than I thought we would getting people married. It is really rare to find couples that are civilly married. They usually just consider themselves married if they have been living together for awhile and have children.
 
We deep cleaned our apartment in the beginning of the week because the land lady said she was going to come by and inspect the house. I do not think our house has been cleaned in more than 6 months. Apparently, the tiles in the shower are white. It looks a lot better now and we felt good afterwards. Cleanliness is close to Godliness right? It is a lot easier to work in the house now.
 
I am always amazed at the sacrifices the members are willing to make for us and how kind and generous they are. Everyone tells us to ask them for anything we may need. Everyone offers us food and something to drink. I really love these people.
 
And I love you guys too.
 
Love,
 
Elder Whiting

No comments:

Post a Comment