Monday, January 17, 2011

Hola

Dear Family,
I am still here in Tocumen. This zone has been turned upside down. Almost every companionship has changes in it. Elder Voss left to Colon and Elder Del Angel came to replace him from Chitre. Elder Del Angel is from Tiajuana Mexico. He said he lives very close to Texas. We are getting along pretty well so far. My Spanish is really improving with him. All of the stories I have heard about Latin companions are being confirmed on a daily basis. Just ask my brothers-in-law. He looked in four different Chinos for a specific hot sauce he likes. He puts it on everything he eats. He told me that awhile back he ate some bad pork and now has problems when he eats it. A member gave us some pork and rice for lunch so I had to eat all of his. I feel really bad for him because he is the only member in his family and his dad does not support his decision to be out here. He says his mom writes him occasionally. I cannot imagine doing this without the full support of your family. I am really lucky.
The water has been back pretty consistently this week with decent pressure. We were told not to drink it though without filtering. We still do though when people give us water. There are lots of sediments in the water. I like to think I am just drinking vitamin water.
The attached pictures are of the stuffed man we burned for new years. It is a Panamanian tradition here. If Brother Howes or Kenney would have seen us they probably would have taken away my Eagle. It was not too bad. Nothing burns here. The guy went up in flames and nothing around him burned. We put fireworks in him so at times he would explode. Also a picture of Elder Voss leaving and Elder Del Angel on his first day.
A lot of responsibility has fallen on me this change. I am the senor companion in every way but title. For at least a couple weeks. The bishop now asks me for teaching forms. I will be directing the work in our area. It was really stressful at first because I would get lost sometimes but now I am getting the hang of it.
I saw something absolutely horrific and traumatic a couple days ago. A group of kids were gathered at the base of a tree and a man was in the top of it shaking it. I could not tell what they were doing until an iguana fell out. The kids swarmed it and started handling it roughly. They eat them here so they were all fighting over it. At least the thing died quickly if not painlessly.
I have noticed a difference in attitude of people here and in the states. Rather than saying three hours for church is really long, most people are surprised we meet for only three hours and only once a week. All of the investigators we bring to church stay all three hours without complaint.
I got my first haircut here at the end of the change. They still use those old fashioned razors that Uncle Gary learned to shave with on his mission to clean up the sideburns and edges. I could not tell what he was doing when he put a shaving cream like substance on my neck. I thought I might be bleeding from a slip up of his archaic razor. For a cut and shave it was only two dollars.
Thanks for all of your letters and emails. I have gotten some questions about email use. I am only allowed to email family but can receive emails from anyone (as long as you are not in my area and female).
Love,
Elder Whiting

No comments:

Post a Comment