Monday, February 21, 2011

21 February 2011

Dear Family,
 
We have had a busy week here in Tocumen. We set two baptismal dates for March. I do not know if I will be around to see them though. There is a good chance that I will be leaving Tocumen on Wednesday since I am completing my second change here. I would not mind staying. I like my companion, the area, and the members here. I will let you know what happens.
 
Our land lady was getting after us, so we completely cleaned our house. It looks really good. We were going to do it anyways since it flooded the day before. Nothing was damaged, but it was really tough evacuating all of the water. Needless to say the fans were going for a couple days.
 
Thank you for the Valentines Day package. I have already devoured the beef jerky. I had to laugh when I was reading a Christmas banner in late February. I still have not had the chance to listen to the CD.
 
I have collected quite a few things here since arriving. I am currently investigating a way to send some of them home. Packages do not seem to be too expensive sending them from this end.
 
We had interviews recently with the President and his wife. We weren't the only ones being interviewed. There has been talk in the mission about hiring a cook to prepare lunch Tuesday through Saturday. Several companionships already had their cooks. The cook would receive money for the food and their labor would be a service. They are concerned with the health of some of the missionaries. We do not have a problem in our area because we have our meals covered and they meet the required rice to other nutritious food ratio. Apparently other areas are not as fortunate as us. Anyways, interviews were fine. The president just asked me how things are going in my area and how I am adjusting to the mission life. Sister Ward just asked each of us if we had any contraband and how our search for a cook was going. They area good people and always spoil us with fantastic food when they come to visit.
 
One of my friends in the ward died the Wednesday before last at 6am. She had cancer and was ready to leave this world. I had a chance to talk with her before she died. She kept telling me how she felt at peace and knew where she was going. I also went to the viewing since we had a district meeting in the same building. It reminded me of when I saw Grandpa Russell years ago.
 
Love,
 
Elder Whiting

No comments:

Post a Comment