Monday, February 7, 2011

Baptisms

7 February 2011



Dear Family,

Everything turned out OK with the baptisms. You can probably tell from the photos that my face was pretty burned. We had some last minute complications to figure out like bad fits with baptismal clothing, figuring out the font controls, and creating programs that our mission leader flaked out on. We were all very happy to see the families of the converts there. They also came to church to see the confirmations. There are more receptive now and have agreed to take the lessons. The first baptism was performed without any problems, but I performed the second one twice because her toe popped up about the water. The water level was really low, so I had to bring my A game. The baptisms were a very special experience for me and for Melissa Michelle Rodriguez Rojas and Dinette Smith (ehsmeeth haha) Peña. I have been thinking a lot about my own baptism so many years ago.

The assistants came to our area and went on divisions with us. They came and saw the baptisms as well.
Have you guys tried Nutella? I think it was Courtney Hatch that originally told me about it, but I never had the chance to try it until recently. If you have not tried it, go out and get some. The stuff is amazing. I also love crocs. My companion and I have been playing chess at night, so I have rediscovered that love too. He is a worthy opponent, and I rarely win. All my discoveries of the new and rediscoveries of the old on my mission make me wonder if I have been living in a cave and why I forgot them in the first place.

The water is so good right now. We still cannot drink it, but we have pressure, heat, and reliability so I am ecstatic.

Mom, you asked about the food. For the most part, you already know that the diet is rice, beans, and chicken. It is true that they give us a lot of food, but I do not know it is because there is not enough for everyone. It very well could be true that they do not eat for the meal they give us food.

Our eating schedule changed for the month of February and as a result we surprised the family that was giving us food that day. They were just sitting down to dinner when we arrived. I observed the portions they were eating were very meager and did not include chicken. They were very embarrassed and quickly got up and offered us their plates. I cannot describe to you my shame that they offer us their very best and now I know what they really eat like we are too good to eat the same. The shame was compounded when they offered us what they were about to eat, probably going without that night. The situation could be considered a double edged sword. Refusing could mean offending them, but accepting makes it hard to sleep at night. I can also promise you mom that the missionaries serving you have their own challenges.  Give them your best.

I appreciate your emails and support. I love you guys so much.

Elder Whiting


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment