Monday, September 12, 2011

12 de septiembre



 








Last Monday I finally got to visit the famous Panama Canal. We got there just in time to see several ships passing through. I thought it was incredible how they fill up the different locks, and all of the engineering involved in the canal. The whole time I was thinking what a waste it all was and why they did not just dig a giant pathway in between the two oceans, but then we watched a video that explained how the ships travel above sea level, the difference in elevation between the two oceans..etc The canal was really cool, and now I feel like I can leave Panama when my mission is over.

I turned 20 years old this week. I can hardly believe it. Everyone always asks us how old we are, and I have to keep correcting myself when I tell them. It did not really feel like my birthday at all since it was pretty much a normal day except for going to Fridays for dinner. The two times I have gone there have been the only times where I feel like I am back in the states before. All the members were really nice during my birthday week as they called it. Pretty much every dinner we have had there has been something special.

I did not remember Sept 11 until we got back to the apartment. Many Panamanians have taken an interest in it because they have been watching specials on tv. Some have asked us where we were when it happened. Was that really 10 years ago?

I gave a talk this Sunday on the relation between faith and repentance. Every second Sunday of the month the missionaries are assigned to talk on anything they want. I figured we are trying to help people increase their faith and repent daily and through baptism, so I thought it was appropriate. We have a couple of investigators in church on Sunday. The gospel essentials class also gets really animated because it is more of a discussion than the other meetings. One of our investigators asked me for the reference book I used in my talk "True to the Faith" which is slightly more interesting than a dictionary because she wanted to read it!

Have a good week. Thanks for all your love and support.

Love,

Elder Whiting


Katie noticed these pictures - they were posted by Sis. Ward on the Panama mission blog site.




Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment