Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mission Week 1

Dear Family,
 
Like college, the mtc was hard at first but is becoming something I am really enjoying. It is true what they say. The days are long, but this week went by so fast.
 
Today is P-day and the first opportunity I've had to e-mail. I have 30 minutes, so I'm flying through this. We have the opportunity today to write letters, do laundry, and go to the temple.
 
My companion's name is Elder Biesinger. He's a really fun person, and we get along very well. He's from Riverton, Utah and took some classes at BYU over the summer. He was made the district leader several days ago.
 
There were eight elders in my district and a ninth (Elder Monterosa) was added a couple days ago. Elder Biesinger and I share a room with Elder Polera and Elder Scrimsher, both going to Panama as well. Five elders in my district are going to Panama, Elder Wasden and Elder Ames to Honduras, and Elder Lake and Mills to Mesa, Arizona. Our district is already very close. We go everywhere together and try to eat every meal together.
 
I have two teachers here at the MTC, Hermana Norris and Hermano Vigil. They are very effective, and I enjoy their classes very much. They both served missions in Peru. They know Spanish very well. I am learning a lot of "Church Vocab" right now that I struggled with in my phone interview before. We practice speaking Spanish with each other all the time. It really helps. It amazes me to see Spanish being "called to [my] remembrance" as I teach lessons, pray, and bear my testimony in Spanish.
 
General Conference was very special here in the MTC. I enjoyed President Uchtdorf's talk on returning to the essentials during those times of turbulence in our lives. Quite an emotional moment for me when Elder Holland spoke for a moment about the sacrifices of our parents in allowing us to serve missions. We were all crying as we were thinking about this. I am thankful for how well equipped I am for my mission thanks to your financing and help packing. My shoes are so comfortable, and I have everything I need.
 
At night, I am able to look at my picture book and think about home for a few moments before companionship prayer and bed. Sometimes I miss home so much that I can hardly contain it. Our teachers taught us to focus on our purpose during these times, to remember that we are here to invite others to come unto Christ by receiving the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentence, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. Hermano Vigil made the great point that the last part, enduring to the end, qualifies all of us and not just our investigators.
 
I enjoy seeing Elder Wood, Sewell, and Maughn quite a bit around the MTC. They look like they are doing great and are always cheerful.
 
I am thankful for your letters and enjoy reading them. Thank you for sending Joseph's letter. As the district leader, my companion gets the mail with me every day so I notice the mail a little more. The DearElder service seems to be quite remarkable. I see a lot of Elders walking around with those distictive long sheets.
 
The only thing I can think of to ask you for is Joseph and Colin's mailing addresses. They should be in my room or on the game table. If you cannot find them, you can use my cell phone to call them. I seem to have forgotten/misplaced them.
 
I am taking lots of pictures, so you can expect some soon. I love you and enjoy hearing from you. In a devotional on Tuesday, the emeritus general authority compared the mission to a fast from food and drink. I like to think about that.
 
Love,
 
Elder Whiting

No comments:

Post a Comment