Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Week 2

Dear Family,
 
I am still alive and doing well. I appreciate all of the dear elders and packages I have been receiving. It seems like they always come on the days I need one.
 
Richard C. Edgely, the first counselor of the presiding bishopric came to speak to us last night at our fireside. He shared some very useful comments on how to be a better missionary. His wife shared her testimony before him and encouraged us to put our faith in Christ. After the fireside we had a very spiritual testimony meeting with just our district. We all just sat stunned in our seats afterwards.
 
There have been many instances that I have felt the Spirit since entering the MTC. I really enjoy teaching the first lesson out of Preach My Gospel with Elder Biesinger because as we go through the lesson and invite "the investigator" to accept commitments, we always come away from the experience with stronger testimonies of what we are teaching.
 
Spanish is coming so fast. I cannot believe how far all of us have come with the language. The gift of tongues is a curious power that I am only just beginning to understand. I experienced this yesterday when we were supposed to teach the first lesson to two of the other elders in our district. After contacting them in Spanish, we began teaching them the first lesson in Spanish without even noticing it. They had to stop us and remind us we were teaching in English for this particular exercise. We are working hard and practicing whenever we have any free time.
 
Elder Biesinger and I are still getting along really well. I am lucky to have him as a companion. I have noticed his laugh is very close to Johnny's, so when he laughs (which is often) I really miss Johnny. I notice that when we are teaching together it is so natural. There aren't long pauses or awkward "its your turn" moments. The lessons flow with ease. I enjoy rooming with Elder Polera and Elder Scrimsher. They are so funny, and we all laugh a lot.
 
Sunday has become our favorite day here at the MTC. First we go to Priesthood meeting in one of the classrooms. If there is a district leaving that week, they sing a song they have been working on for awhile. This last Sunday the elders sang til we meet again. Sacrament meeting is a little stressful because our zone president will call on two random missionaries to come up and talk on a subject. Needless to say, I avoided eye contact with President Krougar for the beginning of that meeting. We do not have Sunday school. We then get to walk around the temple grounds, relax and take pictures. We took some really good ones of our district and of the temple.
 
I am not sure how to send pictures home yet. These computers are blocked from sending attachments or even copying pictures into the body of the e-mail. I cannot burn the pictures onto a CD and send that home. Some elders suggested mailing the SD card home, but I would risk losing them since I don't have a back-up. The bookstore will develop photos which I can then mail home, but I'm not sure if this is the best route. I am taking pictures though so eventually some will make it home, maybe not until I'm in the field though.
 
I enjoy seeing Wilson around the MTC. He seems to be getting a grasp for Hungary very quickly and will greet me and respond in (what I think is) convincing Hungarian.
 
The climbing wall Jordan built sounds very fun. I enjoyed using the one at Cavitt Junior High very much. This one sounds quite bigger though. I would love to try it. Please give Jordan my regards. I was reminded of him yesterday as I was talking with an elder that reminded me of him. Their senses of humor are very similiar.
 
I love you all.
 
Love,
 
Elder Whiting

No comments:

Post a Comment