Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Week 3

Dear Family,
 
What a great week I have had. Last night Elder Russell M. Nelson and his wife came to speak to us for our Tuesday devotional. He had much to say about missionary work. My favorite thing he said was having character is better than being one. First impressions are everything. He encouraged us to remove everything that draws attention away from our message and the Savior towards us. Elder Nelson reassured everyone that we are safer on our missions than our peers back home. Furthermore, we will receive rich dividends from our investment now in our missions. His wife, Wendy Nelson, said the battles we will face on our missions will be all too real. As a result we must thrust in our sickle and our sword. We left the devotional very uplifted and excited about the work.
 
Today I will have another opportunity to attend the temple. Weekly temple attendance has been a great blessing in my life since arriving at the MTC. Today we also have service. Our assignment was changed from vacuuming various hallways and classrooms to washing windows and helping out with preparations for the incoming missionaries like setting up tables, chairs, and stations. Because our service assignment is also on our preparation day, we get an extra hour of personal time on Friday morning to do things like write letters and iron our clothes.
 
Last Sunday I gave a talk on the Holy Ghost in Spanish. The President calls on random elders and sisters to give talks several minutes before we actually speak. So I was chosen and after racing through my mind for everything I could say, I gave what others called a very good talk. Several elders from the older classes came up to me afterwards and asked me if I had been here for several weeks more than them.
 
Typically on Sundays the elders are allowed to walk around the temple for an hour or so to take pictures and relax. This was cancelled last Sunday and indefinitely because many elders were meeting with friends and family during this time. They were also leaving lots of trash behind from picnics and such activities. It is always unfortunate when a few ruin it for the whole. On the plus side, we were still able to take pictures and relax here at the MTC. I have taken a lot of pictures and will send my SD card home soon.
 
Both of my teachers, Hermano Vigil and Hermano Castillo, have encouraged me to move up to the harder language classes here at the MTC. The decision has been weighing heavily on my mind for several days now. If I moved up this would mean a new companion, teachers, district, dormitory, and schedule. Since I have grown very close with my companion, district, and teachers the switch would be very hard. It would be nice to be challenged a bit more than I currently am though. I would also be able to practice my Spanish a lot more with the elders in the more advanced classes. I just do not know what to do though.
 
Thank you for all of the letters, dear elders, and packages. I really like Mom's package with all of the scriptures attached to the different items in the package. My companion and I have been tackling a couple a night and then devouring the contents if its food. I got one of the funniest letters from Elder (Ben) Whiting. He sealed it with this royal wax seal of a "W". I was cracking up. He is so funny, and I cannot wait to see him when I get back. I feel very fortunate to have such support while I am out here serving. We aren't allowed to open mail and packages until after we are done planning at 9:30, so we have fun writing in our journals and opening our mail together when we get back to our rooms.
 
I love you all.
 
With love and appreciation,
 
Elder Whiting

No comments:

Post a Comment