Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Week 6

Incredibly, we heard from yet another apostle. That makes four in a row. Last night Elder Bednar came and spoke to us about the distinctions between doctrines, principles, and applications. He said that so often in the church we try to solve questions with applications when we should actually be using doctrines. On Sunday, Sheri Dew came to speak to us. She talked about knowing your identity, learning how to receive personal revelation, and truly understanding what the Savior did for us by performing the Atonement. Sister Dew told some very good stories and cited a scripture in the New Testament ( I think it was in Matthew) about the Savior coming to heal the broken hearted and bruised. Many of us can find comfort in this scripture.
 
My companion and I are now zone leaders. Tonight we will be welcoming a new district. Tomorrow, we will show them around the MTC and teach them a lesson on planning and companionships. This is an exciting assignment because I am getting to know the elders and sisters in our zone a lot better. I am also under a lot more pressure to be an example for everyone. The corrective action responsibility is probably my least favorite. I hate being the bad guy. Fortunately, most of the time I am able to alert the district leader first of any problems, and they usually take care of it.
 
Congratulations to Corey and Darren on their mission calls. Brazil is always highly spoken of here and will be a great mission.
 
What terrible news about Jared. I have been studying every letter about his progress. Please keep me informed. I was always very careful when I was coming home that way because I know Jared is always playing out there. He is included in my prayers.
 
Thank you for your package mom. At first I thought the mail room had mixed my package up with some Japanese elder's when I saw all the seaweed and Norri crackers. What a special treat! I do not understand how this new SD card is different. I assume the "H" stands for high definition or something? Does it take higher quality photos?
 
The weather is turning colder here. There has been rain and on and off snow flurries for awhile. The MTC is covered in Christmas lights now and looks really pretty when it gets dark. They are really everywhere: in the bushes, trees, covered walkways.
 
Everyone that I know here seems to be leaving. It will be just me and Elder Lindelof pretty soon. Elder Wood came to my classroom and said goodbye a couple days ago. Elder Maughan told me he is leaving Monday, and Elder Sewell has already left. The time seems to really be flying in here. Before I know it, I'll be boarding a plane for Panama. We get our travel plans a week from Thursday. It will be tough to concentrate after that.
 
I love you and enjoy your correspondences.
 
Love,
 
Elder Whiting

No comments:

Post a Comment