Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Week 8

Dear Family,
 
We heard from Elder Malm for our Tuesday night devotional as Mom predicted. He has a heavy Swedish accent and is a very good speaker. Elder Malm told one of my favorite stories about the fallen bridge. A ship ran into a bridge on a foggy night and caused it to collapse. Because of the weather conditions, many could not see that the bridge was out and drove straight over the edge. One trucker noticed and was able to pull over. He was eventually able to alert everyone of the danger ahead. He compared this story to missionary work. We can see a little farther ahead and can warn people of the danger. Our message is desperately needed.
 
My toe has been doing much better. I had the ingrown part surgically removed and medicine put in to kill the section of nail that was taken out. I have been soaking my the toe for 30 minutes twice a day in Epson salts. Then I dab it with hydrogen peroxide and finish with Neosporin and a bandage. It does not bother me any longer. After today I was instructed to switch to only once a day for two more weeks. I have a follow up appointment set for the 29th (the day before I leave).
 
Thank you for the socks. Unfortunately, there was an advertisement in the box for some delicious steaks. I had to throw that away. I do not need any more money. Thanks though.
 
We received our travel plans last Thursday. We are flying on Delta airlines. We fly out of Salt Lake at 9:45 AM and arrive at Atlanta, GA at 3:25. Then at 5:25 PM we proceed to Panama City and are predicted to get there at 9:30 PM. Talk about flying all day. Interestingly, we are fly back to Atlanta exactly a month later to (I am guessing) sign our visas. Our branch presidency said I could call home at the airport, so I will think about it haha. My companion is our travel leader which means he makes sure we do not wander off at the airport and calls the MTC if anything goes wrong. We are going to start packing pretty soon and weigh our bags. I will be sure to make only one bag overweight if there is a problem. It has been difficult for us to focus now that we have our plans.
 
We have been experiencing some interesting weather. It has been snowing a lot here. There is a big blizzard predicted to hit from Alaska. It has gotten REALLY cold as well. We are having fun though because this is the last time we will see snow for a while or feel cold for that matter. When we were walking back from our temple walk on Sunday we were assaulted by a hail storm. I have never experienced hail like this. It actually hurt a lot. Again, we laugh at this now. We have some funny pictures of us running back to the MTC. We would cover our faces with our hands, and then the hail would just sting our hands.
 
Elder Biesinger got a Christmas package yesterday. His parents included a stocking for me which was really nice. I am going to write a letter thanking them today. We have shared pictures of our families with each other. They look like nice people. I hope you didn't send anything too nice to Panama. Speaking of mail...does my mission have a pouch address? I would like any addresses you have since I have not received any.
 
Morgan and Johnny, Congratulations on the new addition to your family. While I am disappointed he was not name Jeffrey II, I'm sure Grant will serve him just fine. I am relieved everything went well. I enjoyed the story about Johnny's middle name. I am reminded of going to the hospital when Emery and Campbell were born and just marveling at them. Newborns are fun to hold. I was also pleased to hear about Chris and Jenna's baby.
 
I am nearing the end of my experience at the MTC. It is strange to be taking exit surveys and going to Health and Safety meetings. This time has gone by extraordinarily fast. I have had many spiritual experiences in the MTC and have created many good memories. I enjoy the elders in my district and have made good friends here.
 
I love you,
 
Elder Whiting

No comments:

Post a Comment