Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Week 7

Dear Family,
 
I am e-mailing a little earlier today because I will be going to the podiatrist later to get an ingrown toenail inspected. I am actually really surprised I am going at all. I was just asking if there was anything I could do on my own to treat it and the next thing I know we are setting up an appointment to look at possible infection or something like that. It has been ingrown for several days but it only recently started hurting to walk on. At least this will be an adventure to leave the MTC and go out into Babylon. It was weird sitting on the other side of the desk while she was on the phone with mom. I wonder if you heard my voice. There are all of these really gross pictures on the wall of injuries that have happened at the MTC. I also noticed several pictures of untreated ingrown toenails and was promptly scared out of my wits.
 
I have enjoy hearing about Emery and Campbell's primary program. I think all of you mentioned it in your letters. They are good girls. From what I have seen of other primary programs, distracted children are not uncommon. I have also seem some wavers. I will have to look into one of those dehumidifiers Allie was talking about. Although, it would probably break from overexertion in Panama and they are too costly for a servant of the Lord.
 
Elder Pearson of the First Quorum of the Seventy addressed us last night for our Tuesday devotional. He had some very inspiring words for us. I gathered that we obtain what we consistently strive for. Again, the importance of understanding our identity as spirit sons and daughters of God was stressed. He addressed the concerns held by many in the audience of losing their identity. He said that being obedient does not turn us into clones citing the distinct personalities in the Quorum of Twelve. We leave behind what we were in order to become what we have been called to be or who we really are. He went on to say that the church will have need for return missionaries to lead the church. Return missionaries are more likely to be married in the temple. A really high percentage of bishops and stake presidents are return missionaries. Our children are also more likely to serve missions. With similiar statements Elder Pearson emphasized the importance of our missions on our lives to come. He gave a powerful testimony at the end and we sang "I Know that My Redeemer Lives".
 
I have been talking quite a bit with Elder Josh Kenney who is the nephew of Br. Fred Kenney. He has been in our zone for quite some time, but I did not make the connection until I saw him wearing a SunSplash sweatshirt. It is fun to talk to him about SunSplash and learn more about the Kenney family. He told me that Br. Fred Kenney bought a radio station recently. He has always been fascinated with radio waves, and we even made an antenna for mutual one night. I have also been able to reflect on the positive influence Br. Kenney has had on my life and his influence in my decision to serve a mission. I enjoyed being their home teacher and I will always be grateful for his generosity and service given to me. He has been my leader off and on for many years.
 
Thank you for purchasing the socks. A few extra will make a huge difference.
 
The end of my stay here at the MTC is quickly approaching. I have grown to enjoy the MTC quite a bit and have formed some very good memories. I can see how the powerful lessons I learn here will be useful even after the mission. I do not like to think about saying adios to my teachers. They have been with us from the beginning, and we are very close with them now. This may also be the last time I see many of these missionaries. Hopefully I can at least see the ones that are going to Panama every once in awhile. I am eager however to get out into the field. While role-playing is effective practice, I really want to teach real investigators for once.
 
I love you all and appreciate your support. Not everyone out here is as blessed in that department as I am.
 
Love,
 
Elder Whiting

No comments:

Post a Comment