Monday, June 13, 2011

June 13

Dear Family,

Elder Alvarez and I have had an interesting and successful week. I feel like we are able to work really well together, and it is paying off. We started our time together preparing four people for baptism and now find ourselves with ten! I have a feeling that June will be a very good month for the great start we are having. We are in second place in the entire mission for lessons taught with a member present. I have definitely noticed the difference in the work when we have their support. Sometimes the members just say crazy comments in the lessons or talk about topics the investigators are not ready to hear, but for the most part it is a positive addition. I feel like one of my responsibilities is to help them make friends within the church so they feel more important. I always think about what Pres. Hinkley said about everyone in the church needing a calling, friend, and the nourishing word of the gospel.

Saturday night a bunch of inmates escaped from the prison we live by. Policemen were running around everywhere in stealth uniforms knocking on doors and looking in vegetation. I thought the inmates were going to come kills us because they are always shouting stuff at us as we are walking by the prison. My companion always laughs his head off, so I thought he would be first to die. I have not heard anything about their capture.

During the week I had the rare opportunity to teach a man that had never heard anything about the gospel. Usually people have somewhat of an understanding of baptism, repentance, the Holy Ghost, etc but he was hearing all of this for the first time. I felt like the one chosen to tell him he had just won the mega jackpot in the lottery. I thought of Jesus Christ!s admonition to become like little children, innocent and teachable. He is so eager to learn everything, and is taking the necessary steps towards baptism.

Love,

Elder Whiting

No comments:

Post a Comment