Monday, July 4, 2011

4 de Julio

I was transferred this week to Juan Diaz. Before I was transferred however I had the opportunity to baptize a young man and a family we have been working with. I hope I can go in a year when they get sealed in the temple. That would be awesome. I had fun at changes because our whole group was reunited minus Elder Polera. The area is fairly close to Tocumen. In fact, when I was in Tocumen we often went to Metro Mall for pdays. I bought my camera in los pueblos (also in the area). I feel pretty comfortable being back in the city. Juan Diaz is closer to Panama City than Tocumen, and you can see the city skyline from most parts of the area. I have to readjust to being around so much noise again. Chorrera was so quiet compared to the city. My companion is Elder Sanchez from Honduras. I was getting the full collection of companions from Central America and Mexico. I think I am just missing Costa Rica and Beliz or some random country. 

Elder Sanchez is going home at the end of this change. Following mission tradition, he is "dying" this change just like we are all "born" when we arrive here. I talked to Elder Biesinger who was here before me.  

Elder Biesinger was not actually in my area, but rather in the adjacent one. There are four missionaries here divided by the main road. Oddly, we do not live with the other missionaries serving in the branch but rather live in our own nice, little apartment. Our areas are Juan Diaz 1 and Juan Diaz 2. I am in Juan Diaz 1 which is on the side opposite Los pueblos and Metro Mall. It is hard because most of the members are on the other side. We share a small chapel with another area. I am serving in a very small branch here. The average attendance floats around 50 people.

I laughed at Sister Webb's stories about the members in her Russian branch yelling at each other but somehow now its not so funny. My comp says he tells investigators to  go to Sacrament meeting. 

I did not realize how strong my wards have been. This week has been a "welcome to the mission" sort of feeling. 

Love,

Elder Whiting
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment