Tuesday, August 16, 2011

15 de agosto


Elder Sanchez headed home after completing his two year mission. Neither of us could sleep the night before changes because he was going home, and I was informed that I would be training a new elder. My new companion is Elder Bentz. He is from Los Angeles, California, so he is cool. We have been getting along well. He is a lot better prepared than I was when I entered the field. I have been impressed with his Spanish. When I talked to Elder Voss at changes he was happy that he is going to be a "grandpa", so we took a picture of the three generations (Elder Voss who trained me, me, and now Elder Bentz that I am training). Then have a new program that went into use this week. It is called the first 12 weeks which is two changes, and yes we will be together for both of them. They are now keeping trainers with their trainees for two changes. I thought that was interesting since I was only with my trainer for one change. All of the trainers received DVD players and have video segments to watch each morning to supplement our studies. President Ward also added an hour of extra study time each morning. We have a packet that tells us what we are supposed to study each day and the application/goals for that week. I took a peek at the end of the two changes, and the new elder is supposed to take the lead is pretty much everything from planning to proselyting. He is also supposed to be able to train after our time together. The program has worked really well when it was tested in the states. My life has been really difficult since Wednesday. I have been fairly overwhelmed by going up to senior companion and training in one change. I am used to teaching the area to the new elder that comes, but this is completely different. I have been reminded of myself a lot this week and when I first arrived in Panama. The new elders that come are so eager to get to work, and so full of their "good ideas" from the Missionary Training Center haha. I have realized how far I have come experience wise as a missionary, with the language, and street smarts in Panama. I feel bad for Elder Bentz since this area has more challenges than most. He has a super positive attitude though. I have been watching him pretty closely. Some days full of rejection can be brutal. That is a normal part of the mission, but on top of that I remember how hard the beginning is. Anyways, please pray for my sanity as I adjust to my new assignment.

Love,

Elder Whiting



 


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment