Monday, January 30, 2012

30 de enero

This week I was transferred to Colon to be a zone leader with Elder Echevarria. We are getting along super well so far which makes all the difference. He is from Guatemala and has about 13 months in the mission. The picture is of me and him in our apartment.
My area is called Cativa, and we live in a neighborhood called San Judas. The apartment we are staying in is horrid. I think if I had to choose between getting punched in the face or living there I would have a black eye right now. It is so dirty, ghetto, and smelly. It is ok though because Colon is so cool that I do not even care where I live. Every part of the area is so amazing.
This is probably the "richest" area I have been in. There are a lot of really nice houses here. I imagine the good jobs at the ports/canal here have something to do with that.
We do not have a chapel here. The church is renting a really beautiful house until they can build one. The ward is functioning really well here. The attendance has been fluctuating around 120. I am really excited to be here. There are tons of black people here. They are definitely the majority. I like the phrases they use here like "todo cool" and "ofi" which is short for official.
I have been assigned to a lot of the zones everyone wants to go to. This zone is smaller than David. There are 12 missionaries here including the zone leaders and 2 hermanas. We also have a cook in this area rather than eating in a little restaurant like in barrio 2. She is really funny and likes to divulge family secrets to us. She has a foreign exchange student living in her house from Belgium. I talked to her in English since her Spanish still needs work. I turned the conversation towards religion, and she told me she does not believe in God. I was like whaaaat!?! That makes atheist number 3 I have met in all of my time in Panama.
Sorry this email is so scrambled. I cannot seem to organize my thoughts right now from lack of sleep. Other good news...there are tons of Kuna indians here, so I will be adding on to my collection of molas. Barriada Kuna is a famous area in Colon there are only Kunas there. They make really neat Molas there, so all of the missionaries are always asking the missionaries there to order some for them. Anyway, I will try to find a post office here to send everything home. This area is so awesome. It is pretty hot like David, but not as much. There is always a really strong breeze too which helps. I should have knocked on wood after saying my areas have been flat for the most part (David, Juan Dias, Tocumen) because this area has a lot of hills. I hope everyone is doing well. I am having an awesome time so far in Colon. I love it. Have a good week.




Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment