Monday, February 6, 2012

6 Feb 2012

This week has been interesting. I feel like I am living inside the movie Pocahontas or Avatar. Things are getting pretty ugly in Panama with widespread protests led by the indians here. They are protesting plans to open gold mines.
It sounds like I got out of David just in time because the protesters closed off the roads to Panama. Nothing can get out of there (including most of the food grown there that feeds this whole country). The elders from David and conception could not make it to consejos. One companionship in Las Lomas, David was too close to a riot and got tear gas thrown at them. President Ward called us last night and told us to tell all of the elders to buy food, so I will probably go stock up on pop tarts.
Some answers to your questions.... Elder Echeverria is from San Cristoba, Guatemala. We do not play any other sports besides soccer.
I do not know the ex missionary from MaƱanitas even though Tocumen bordered the area. Elder Biesinger is still in the office. He is leaving this change, so he is training an elder to replace him. I usually have a little money left on my card each month because I take most of it out and save it in cash form. As far as I can tell it carries over month to month. I have heard it is taken out if it builds up too much. I figure it is safer out of the bank. We are currently teaching 8 families and have 8 baptismal dates. We found 5 of the families we are teaching this week.
It did not take long for the members to learn I can play the piano, so now I will be playing in the meetings, and I was also roped into playing for choir practice after church. I have not played for quite some time and have gotten a little rusty without practice. Have a good week. I love you guys. 
[The Indians referred to are not Kuna.]

No comments:

Post a Comment