Monday, March 5, 2012

5 de marzo 2012


On Friday we were heading off to an appointment with one of our new investigators. We saw a big column of smoke before we even arrived and quickened our pace. On arrival, we saw his yard engulfed in flames with the fire quickly moving towards the house and nearby jungle. My companion and I just looked at each other and rushed into the flames. The investigator was running around like a wild man throwing buckets of water onto the flames. We shouted at him to find out if he had called the firemen, but he said no because they would fine him.
I joined into the bucket brigade and took up position in front of the house since that was our priority.
Once we had saved the house from immediate danger we raced off into the jungle which was quickly burning up. We ran buckets to the outside of the fire moving in towards the center. I walked over what I thought was a cleared area to hit the heart of the fire when an old mattress caught fire and blew up behind me. Luckily I had not thrown my bucket yet and was able to calm a part enough to leave. My companion and the investigator also saw my predicament and came to the rescue. Thanks to our efforts and the general lack of dry material here, the fire eventually sputtered out leaving a bunch of smoldering land. I asked him afterwards how the fire had started, and he told me he was burning some garbage in his front yard and things had gotten out of control.
Luckily no one was hurt, and no real damage was done. Understandably, he told us to come back another day. My companion and I have decided that we do not know why we even bother showering in the morning. We usually look trashed before lunch most days.
 
We ended another week well with baptisms. The service was really special although not as many people came as I would have liked. It was a little more difficult to attend than the last one because we held the baptisms in Colon Centro rather than the stake center due to request. We had to hold the service earlier than usual because the area is semi dangerous. A member told me a couple tourists from the US were robbed recently. I have not done divisions there this whole change. My companion did not seem to mind going though.
 
Changes are this Wednesday. I am pretty confident I will be staying in Colon. I hope my companion does not leave. Elder Echeverria is really cool. I think that is all the news I have to report. I hope everyone has a great week. I love you.



 


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment